I love chestnuts – and am always looking for unique ways to incorporate them into my holiday menu. Although the chestnut is beautifully complimented by flavors of fig and apple, it is undeniably the star of this salad. I hope you enjoy this perfect (and healthy!) holiday treat.
**Adapted from Herbivoracious.com and Matiz Gallego
5 cups water
1 tablespoon caraway seeds
6 tablespoons The Shop Agora or Domaine Mercouri olive oil
2 Shallots, peeled, finely sliced
2 apples (Pink Lady or Braeburn), peeled and cut into a medium dice
1. Soak the farro. Place farro in a bowl and cover with cool water overnight.
2. Rinse the farro until water runs clear.
3. Bring four quarts of water to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and add farro. Cook for about 30 minutes until tender. Do not let the farro get mushy.
4. Put a large skillet over medium heat and add two tablespoons olive oil. Toast the caraway seeds for 15 seconds, then stir them into the farro. Keep farro in covered pot.
5. Heat 2 more tablespoons of Olive Oil in the same skillet over medium-heat. Add the shallots and sauté for 2 minutes. Add apples and sauté 3 to 4 minutes. Add chestnuts and sauté 1 minute. Add Acetoria fig vinegar, cook 1 more minute. Whisk or stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil to emulsify. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
6. To serve, divide farro onto four plates. Place chestnut/apple mixture on top of farro. Garnish with chopped parsley. Enjoy!!
Recipe contributed by Mikaela Harf